This is the reply to the above letter, with my comments in red.
On Sept. 18, The State Journal-Register published a letter
exhorting America to awaken to what was characterized as the dire
threat posed by the Muslim religion (letter to the editor: “Wake
up, America”).
I
was struck with the notion that this diatribe
was better suited to a Ku Klux Klan
pamphlet than the editorial page of my newspaper. I could easily
imagine that in 1920, this same author might have been editorializing
on the dangers posed by “the colored races” migrating to northern
cities, in 1900 on the threat of hordes of
Jewish immigrants and in 1850 on the swarms
of Irish “papists.”
The
“colored people” refered to here were brought here against their
will, or at least the ones I assume the writer is refering to were.
The resentment and anger of some segments of the decendants of these
involuntary immigrants is perhaps understandable however
counter-productive it may be. The writer plays the typical card of
racism with no basis in fact. The Jewish “hoards” refered to
came to this country legally. They for the most part didn't come
here to kill Americans or overthrow the government. To my knowledge
they never tried to compel anyone to convert to Judeism. As for the
“swarms” of Irish “Papists”; I myself am of Irish decent, and
none of my ancestors owned any slaves, or killed any Americans for
religious reasons, or beheaded anyone for refusing to convert to
Catholicism. And for that matter calling people hordes and swarms
seems a little racist and intolerant to me.
Bigotry and ignorance have ever been the unfortunate hallmarks of a
certain segment of American society, and it is apparent from this
letter that they are now redirected toward the latest target of
opportunity.
I
have to agree that ignorance and bigotry is all too common in
america. But I think we would disagree on just who the ignorant
bigots might be.
This letter was an insult to the many God-fearing, patriotic,
(who's god? And for which nation?)
)Muslim people of this community and contrary to the ideals of
tolerance (The writer's notion of tolerance
seems to be different than mine) we claim to hold dear in the
United States. The Muslim people, in fact, follow the world’s
largest monotheistic religion. (I don't
understand why this would be considered a good thing, considering
that islam wants to destroy the world's second largets religion)
Muslims honor the moral precepts of the Ten Commandments and worship
the God of Abraham.(At least according to the
Koran. I think Jews might disagree.) Those of my acquaintance
have uniformly been friendly, generous, devout persons deeply devoted
to their families.
People who are Muslims are mostly like
everybody else. I have nothing against Muslim people, per se. My
distain is for those who accept the tennents of Islam and use them as
a reason to kill me and other unbelievers. I find it very hard to
believe that any civilized person wouldn't feel the same. But
apparently, the writer doesen't)
The
real threat to American values are not Muslims,
(This is total delusional nonsense. Anybody who wants to kill me for
whatever reason is a threat and my enemy.) but those among us
who so easily let fear and hatred take place of reason and tolerance,
and also newspaper editors who publish
hate-mongering without a word of apology, embarrassment or disavowal.
Using
the words “reason” and “tolerance” in defense of any religion
is oxymorinic.
And
the writer seems to be urging the newspaper editors to practice
censorship in aid of political correctness. How very tolerant.
James R. Leinicke
No comments:
Post a Comment